There are so many options to support gut health in the market today. How can you decide which one works best for you? We can help you by comparing the ten best Leaky Gut supplements. You should have a solution by the end of this.
You hear a lot about gut health and supplements that support the microbiome. Why is that? Up until a few years ago, the gut was used only in the context of a gut feeling. Ever wondered why the gut is central to a lot of research today? Well, it was found that the gut is essential to a lot of things in our body – from immunity to the texture of the locks on our heads. The gut influences it all. Not really the gut, but a few permanent visitors that live in the gut. Bacteria – shocking, isn’t it?
Certain aspects of our lives have changed drastically over the past few years. The way you eat, what you eat, how much you move, and how much you sleep – all these factors influence your body in ways unimaginable.
What Hurts Your Gut?
There are several processes in play that keep your gut in shape and these processes are sensitive. Your everyday lifestyle could be hurting you and you may not be aware of it.
- Eating Habits: There are several mistakes that you might be making. Let’s start with the easiest habit to change.
- A poor diet without a balance of fats, carbohydrates, and proteins is vital.
- Once you have that in order we can move to meal times – eating or snacking too close to bedtime doesn’t work for you. Stop eating at least 2 hours prior to bedtime.
- Eating too many processed foods can increase sugar and preservative levels in your body. Also, processed foods don’t provide the body with sufficient nutrition, so avoid them as much as humanly possible.
- Eating a varied diet is fundamental. Repeating the same foods every day reduces your chances of getting the correct nutrition your body needs.
- Another unhealthy habit is drinking too much alcohol. Alcohol is toxic to gut health even at small levels. Excessively drinking would kill off the good bacteria residing in your gut.
- Exercise: Exercise is now mostly considered a luxury. Time constraints and office jobs have left people obese and unhealthy. It has been found that exercise can improve gut health severalfold. Exercise can also help with stress.
- Stress: Heightened levels of stress can diminish the population of good bacteria that lives in the gut. This leads to inflammation and results in stress symptoms like bloating, ulcers, and acid reflux. Stress causes the gut flora to diminish and this doesn’t help you at all.
Another vicious cycle is stress and sleep. Adequate rest/sleep is vital for gut and overall health. No sleep leads to more stress. More stress means not enough sleep. Do you see how it hurts you?
A Hurting Ecosystem
Your gut lining is a thriving ecosystem and a poor diet can affect the delicate balance in which it survives. Gut health is vital as it directly influences your entire wellbeing. If you harbor any or some of the above-mentioned habits, odds are that your gut health is compromised. When digestive health is threatened you may ignore it as temporary gas or bloating but ignoring it for too long may lead to chronic conditions. One such distress is Leaky Gut Syndrome or intestinal permeability. This is only a condition that facilitates a plethora of other medical discomforts.
When suffering from Leaky Gut Syndrome the intestinal wall is damaged and cannot effectively function as a blockade. Harmful substances like gluten, bad bacteria, and undigested food enter your system and disrupt your health. One of the main causes of leaky gut syndrome is dysbiosis – a bacterial imbalance between the good bacteria and the bad bacteria in the gastrointestinal tract. It may also be caused by increased intestinal permeability which let substances leak into the bloodstream. Those with celiac disease or Crohn’s disease experience this.
Do You Have Leaky Gut Symptoms?
Declining gut health is almost immediately evident. Here are the most common leaky gut syndrome symptoms:
- Chronic diarrhea, gas, or bloating
- Nutritional deficiency
- Poor immune system
- Headaches, brain fog, or memory loss
- Skin rashes and problems like eczema
- Food allergies or food sensitivities
- Sugar or carbohydrate cravings
- Arthritis or joint pain
- Depression and/or anxiety
- Autoimmune diseases like lupus, celiac disease, or Crohn’s disease.
There are some natural ways to heal leaky gut like bone broth or fiber-rich foods but they are sometimes time-taking and involve changing your lifestyle entirely. So, is there an easier way to get your gut back to proper working order? Yes, there are – Leaky gut supplements. There are several options available for you. You only have to choose the one that suits you best. A supplement that lets you get on with your life while doing what it should in your gut.
The gut microbiota – the colonic community that resides in your gut, is extremely delicate. It can be thrown off-balance easily and to set it back right is a task. A Leaky Gut supplement should be able to do that without disturbing your lifestyle and/or other body functions. A good supplement will not only help heal the prebiotic and probiotic needs of your gut but will also show an impact on weight loss, the immune system, skin health, and anti-aging and prevent leaky gut in the future.
The gut-brain axis is the two-way biochemical signaling that occurs between the GI tract (gastrointestinal tract) and the central nervous system. The research surrounding this axis has shown that the health of the gut microbiota directly influences the brain – cognitive and physical function. A supplement must be able to support this system as it will directly influence your mood, motivation, and thinking.
Easy Way Out
Leaky gut supplements are the easy way out when you suffer from a leaky gut. Probiotic supplements are made up of good bacteria that help keep your gut lining hale and hearty. They deliver probiotics in amounts required and the right probiotics too. If you plan on healing leaky gut syndrome situation naturally, you might have an uphill task ahead of you. There are prebiotic and probiotic foods available that can help you but you must be able to alter your diet and even your way of living.
Natural foods can deliver probiotics to the gut but you can never be certain of which bacteria or how much you have consumed. There would be diet restrictions, beverage restrictions and a lifestyle overhaul. That may not be a luxury available to you. On the contrary, leaky gut supplements can let you live your life the way you want it and they would do all the work for you. Also, a leaky gut supplement must not only heal the gut intestinal lining but must prevent it in the future.
The Choices You Have
The choices are unlimited – hence making choosing the right probiotic for you a little complicated. Here, you will find the top ten best leaky gut supplement brands laid out for you. Possibly, you should have a clear answer by the end of it. Along with probiotic/prebiotic support, a good gut supplement should also stop gut inflammation and have a minimum of 1 billion CFU – colony-forming units, which is a measure of viable colorogenic cell numbers. That means it is a gauge of the number of cells that can proliferate and form small colonies – the more colonies in your gut, the better.
Let’s begin by introducing the Best Supplements and how leaky gut supplements work:
No. #1 Probiology Gut+:
Probiology Gut+ claims to improve overall gut health along with boosting immunity, ensuring healthy weight loss, and relieving stress. For both, men and women, Gut+ uses a unique formula that not only helps the gut but eliminates digestive issues and promotes digestive health.
- Gut+ uses four live strains of bacteria all of which have been proved accommodating to gut health.
- The first is Lactobacillus paracasei– A lactic acid bacterial strain alone protects against gut inflammation and bloating.
- Bifidobacteria lactis is what strengthens the intestinal wall aiding maximum nutrient absorption. Strong intestinal walls are what diminishes the occurrence of Leaky Gut Syndrome.
- Lactobacillus Plantarum, a plant-based bacterial is mild and easy to accommodate. Allowing for easy bowel movements, Pmmmmmmmm also helps with stomach cramps.
- Fructooligosaccha ride are included in the formula so that you don’t have to worry about taking a prebiotic formula separately as they cannot be digested by your system; it becomes fodder for the gut microbes.
- Maktrek marine polysaccharide complex a plant derivative that protects the prebiotic and probiotic cargo from digestive enzymes to ensure that the supplement is most effective. This is a trademarked ingredient.
- Stress Relief
- Healthier digestion and gut balance reset
- Curbed Appetite – weight loss
- Improved immunity
- Better mood and cognition
- Not safe for those with weakened immunities
- Initial discomfort that passes within a few days
- 2 capsules per day on an empty stomach.
No. #2. Biotics 8
A Bauer Nutrition contribution, Biotics 8 claims to eliminate bloating, promote digestive health, enhance the immune system and drive energy and focus. Exclusively made for men, this probiotic aims to tune up the male digestive system.
- Vitamin D3- cholecalciferol that supports bone, muscle, and also mood. Helping immunity by fighting off various infections, vitamin D also acts as an anti-inflammatory agent.
- Lactobacillus (acidophilus, casei, paracasei, rhamnosus, plantarum, fermentum) is a family of bacteria that produce lactic acid from glucose and helps the body breakdown food and war against bad bacteria in the gut. This strain helps with inflammation and diarrhea.
- Bifidobacterium (longum, bifidum, breve) are the fiber digesting and helpful chemical-producing strains of bacteria.
- The third bacterial strain used is Saccharomyces Boulardii, historically used to treat diarrhea in children. Now found to be a powerful probiotic, it is used to treat acne and digestive and urinary tract infections.
- Biotics 8 even includes Inulin from chicory. A prebiotic fiber that keeps the gut flora nourished and healthy. It also eases bowel movements and slows down digestion, this facilitates weight loss.
- Lipase is an enzyme and is used to treat Crohn’s disease, cystic fibrosis, and gluten allergies.
- Similar to Gut+, Fructooligosaccha ride is also a part of the Biotics 8 formula.
- Restoration of digestive enzymes
- Better immunity
- Enhanced energy
- Easier weight loss
- Better mood
- Initial discomfort that passes after continued use.
- Not recommended for children or women.
- 2 to 3 capsules a day, depending on the severity of the condition.
No. #3: P3OM
A Bioptimizers product, P3Om claims to eliminate gas and bloating all while reducing fat and building muscle. It allows you to continue a desirable exercise plan and diet for building your body without any side effects to gut permeability.
- Lactobacillus Plantarum
- Protease is an enzyme that efficiently metabolizes protein to helpful amino acids which gives you more energy.
- Lactase is another enzyme that helps the digestion of milk and milk products by breaking them down into lactose.
- Amylase helps to digest carbohydrates by increasing salivary and pancreatic gland release.
- Papain comes from the papaya fruit and helps to digest protein fibers so that you can lose excess weight.
- Bromelin, from pineapples, aids digestion and helps the body absorb nutrients more efficiently. It has also been found to have healing properties that affect the gastrointestinal wall.
- Cellulase which acts as a catalyst to break down polysaccharides and cellulose in the body.
- Pancreatin is a mixture of lipase, amylase, and lipase and reduces the absorption of sugars, fats, and proteins into the bloodstream.
- Improved mental clarity
- Better recovery from Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Muscle gains and endurance
- Relief from gas and bloating
- Takes time to show results
- Aimed more at weight loss than at gut health
- 1 or 2 capsules with every meal and 1-2 capsules before bedtime.
No. #4: Biome Breakthrough
Another contribution from Bioptimizers, Biome Breakthrough claims to use synbiotics-prebiotics and probiotics and digestive enzymes, this product aims to eliminate all things gut unfriendly in your body and also help prevent leaky gut. And it does so in powder form.
- Igy Max (hyperimmunized egg powder) is a trademarked ingredient that targets the bad bacteria in the gut and restores gut balance. It has also been found effective in reversing antibiotic damage and helps reduce intestinal permeability by up to 95%.
- The Lactobacillus blend of rhamnosus, gasseri and helveticus has been found to have essential probiotic properties that can also help with blood sugar issues and gastrointestinal issues.
- D-Ribose, a prebiotic sugar, helps with energy and immunity. It can also help you work out and burn fat.
- IOS VitaFiber is a low-calorie natural sweetener that is also a prebiotic source for your gut.
- Stevia Leaf Extract aids with diabetes, and weight control and has been found effective in reducing blood pressure.
- Available in Vanilla flavor.
- Best for healing leaky gut
- Boosts immunity
- Revives the gut and supports gut health.
- Vegetarian friendly.
- Unsafe for use if you suffer from ulcers
One scoop that is 5 grams of product to 8oz. of water, on an empty stomach.
LGS is a common cause of intestinal inflammation, learn how Biome Breakthrough can support gut health!
No. #5: Probiotic 40-Billion
A VitaPost dietary supplement that helps replenish the gut flora in the digestive tract naturally. It also helps the better processing of food and supports colon health.
- Lactobacillus plantarum, paracasei and acidophilus
- Bifidobacterium Lactis
- Support for a healthy urinary tract
- Supports a healthy immune system
- Healthy digestive function
- Balanced gut flora
- Healthy skin
- Replenishes good bacteria.
- Not recommended for pregnant women or those under prescribed medication.
- 1 capsule twice a day with food or as suggested by your licensed healthcare provider.
For a healthy intestinal barrier read more about Probiotic 40-Billion and how it works to promote gut health!
No. #6. Maximum Digestion Probiotic
From Leading Edge Health and made up of ten strains of helpful bacteria, this leaky gut supplement claims to help the gut do its job without hurting you.
- Lactobacillus strains – acidophilus, casei, plantarum, salivarius, rhamnosus and bulgaris.
- Bifidobacterium strains – lactis, longum, and bifidum.
- Fewer digestion problems
- Better skin and hair
- Enhances immune function
- Mental wellness
- Some initial discomfort
- None other reported
Not mention on the Website.
No. #7: Microbiome Plus Gastrointestinal
This product is a combination of synbiotics and fibers proven to support gastrointestinal health.
- Probiotic capsule: Lactobacillus reuteri,
- Microcrystalline cellulose which is used as an anti-caking agent, and stabilizer and is found in many processed foods.
- Silicon dioxide is used in several dietary supplements to stop powders from sticking together.
- Magnesium stearate helps improve the consistency and quality control of capsules.
- Vegetable capsules are made up of cellulose and allow for the transport of probiotic bacteria.
- Prebiotic capsule: scFOS,
- Microcrystalline cellulose
- Dicalcium phosphate is a tableting agent.
- Stearic acid has been found to help with eczema symptoms and reduce inflammation. Usually used in soaps, it is very good for the skin.
- Magnesium stearate,
- Croscarmellose sodium
- Silicon dioxide
- Enhances digestive health
- Increases vitamin D
- Energy and immunity boost
- Cholesterol control
- Doctor recommended
- Two capsule course
- Manufactured components greater.
- Take one prebiotic and one probiotic pill twice a day with a meal.
To boost beneficial Gut Bacteria, Learn how Microbiome Plus Gastrointestinal from its Official Website.
No. #8: Dr. Colbert Beyond Biotics
Beyond Biotics is a leaky gut supplement that declares to enhance natural gut defenses from infection and restore healthy bacteria balance in the gut.
- Bifidobacterium breve and lactis
- Lactobacillus plantarum
- Prebiotic blend of LH01, LL5, T4D and LL12
- Microcrystalline cellulose
- Vegetable capsule
- Stearic acid
- Reduces gas and bloating
- Supports immune function
- Promotes bowel regularity
- Digestive balance and health.
- Not recommended for pregnant women
- Nor for children.
1 capsule a day.
The Dr. Colbert Beyond Biotics is not like most leaky gut supplements, that has no clinical backing, tap to learn more.
No. #9: ProBrain Biotics
This brainMD product provides gut health along with an enhanced brain. By positively restoring the gut, ProBrain Biotics claims to help with stress management and a better mood.
- Lactobacillus helveticus
- Bifidobacterium longum
- Potato starch
- Magnesium stearate
- Better mood
- Improved immunity
- Supports brain health and function
- Promotes healthy digestion.
- Slightly more expensive than other brands.
- 1 capsule regularly with food.
No. #10: Probiotic T-50
This supplement, from Zenith Labs, works by eliminating the harmful bacteria in the gut allowing the good bacteria to flourish and nourish healthy bacteria. In addition to this, it also claims to eliminate digestive issues and do away with heartburn, acidity, and bloating.
- Probiotic T-50 uses similar bacterial strains as Biotics 8. That is the Lactobacillus family (rhamonosus, brevis, acidophilus, casei, plantarum,). The two other lactobacillus strains used are:
- Salivarius – which acts as a mood moderator and
- Bulgaricus – which harbors the potential to strengthen the immune system and support gut health.
- The second component is the Bifidobacterium family (longum, lactis and bifidum)
- Natural and chemical-free
- Restores gut bacterial health
- Improved skin
- Enhanced immunity.
- Initially discomforts may manifest.
- None other reported
- 2 capsules per day in the morning.
For a healthy inflammatory response in your Gut Health, learn how the Probiotic T-50 works inside your body [Product Discontinued].
The Better Choice
Considering the facts discussed about the best leaky gut supplements out there, you might have a few ideas about what you might like or expect from your gut supplement. Some leaky gut supplements offer gimmicks like gut and weight loss, gut and brain health, or gut and bodybuilding. What you have to understand is that a healthy gut would, by default; help with weight loss, brain, and healthy muscles. So, no probiotic supplement, on its own, is going to give you these perks. For a healthy gut you have to reset the gut balance with the right bacteria. Once that’s done, you can go on to enjoy the extra bonus of a healthy body.
Let’s focus on those supplements without the tricks – Gut+, Biotics 8, Probiotic T-50, Biome Breakthrough, and Dr. Colbert’s Beyond Biotics. The latter 3 have pretty many similar ingredients and they all make the same promises, which leave us with Gut+ and Biotics 8. Biotics 8 is designed especially for men. So, it all boils down to Gut+.
Gut+ is the only product here that delivers prebiotics, probiotics, and a fool-proof delivery system that ensures that the bacteria in your gut are balanced, nourished, and healthy. Sounds like a good deal. Some probiotic supplements just throw a few bacterial strains together to pump up CFU numbers. Gut+ does not do that. With a CFU count of 40 billion, Gut + makes certain that your gut health stays uncompromised.
Let’s talk biochemistry – 95% of serotonin – the happy hormone, is produced in the gut. Gut+, quite literally, flushes your system with good bacteria. Nourishment for the bacteria is already provided for by the supplement, so the bacteria can move on to functions other than nutrition, like serotonin production. You are in a better mood and capable of putting up with whatever life might throw your way. No gimmick- just science.
If you still need some convincing take a look below.
A Quick Look
|CFU Count (in billions)||Bacterial Strains Count||Prebiotic||Probiotic||Audience||Dosage (per day)||Price per bottle|
|Probiology Gut+||40||4||Yes||Yes||All||2 pills||$59.99|
|Biotics 8||20||10||Yes||Yes||Men||2 to 3 pills||$59.99|
|P3OM||25||1||No||Yes||All||2 or 4 pills||$66.00|
|Biome Breakthrough||10||3||No||Yes||All||1 scoop per day||$66.00|
|Probiotic 40 Billion||40||4||No||Yes||All||2 pills||$34.95|
|Maximum Digestion Probiotic||40||10||Yes||Yes||All||NA||$39.95|
|Microbiome Plus Gastrointestinal||3.5||1||Yes||Yes||All||2 prebiotics 2 probiotics||$47.49|
|Dr. Colbert beyond Biotics||12||4||Yes||Yes||All||1 pill||$40.00|
|ProBrain Biotics||3||2||No||Yes||All||1 capsule||$44.95|
|Probiotic T-50||50||10||No||Yes||All||2 pills||Discontinued|
Given what you now know and looking at the information above, it seems pretty clear that Gut+ gives your gut the support it needs without any tricks.
With Probiology’s Gut+ you have not just a healthy gut to look forward to. There are a variety of benefits that you can enjoy once you start to use the supplement. We have already briefly talked about the gut and serotonin – that is just the tip of the iceberg. Here’s what’s in store for you:
- Improved Immunity: The gut and the immune system support each other. The gut microbiome acts as a filter to keep foreign bodies away and trains the T-cells (immune cells) to distinguish between foreign entities and their own cells. If your gut is too busy fighting for its own survival, your immunity is taking a hit too.
- Weight Management: A recently published study cited that your gut microbes are strongly linked to obesity and type 2 diabetes. The Microbiome influences peptides and appetite hormone-like leptin. So negative changes in the gut can influence what or how much you eat. The healthier your gut the lesser you have to worry about eating the wrong things at the wrong times.
- Improved Mood: Recall the concept of the gut-brain axis? The gut and the brain are connected by the vagus nerve which carries signals from the digestive system to the brain and back. It’s how your parasympathetic nervous system is wired. Serotonin is manufactured by the gut which makes us feel happier. A Happy gut is equal to a happy you.
- Better Sleep: A sleep study in Tsukuba, Japan suggests that gut bacteria influence sleep. Again, through the gut-brain axis. Serotonin is also responsible for the sleep/wake cycle and when the gut is out of whack, sleep suffers too.
- Healthier Bones: The gut microbiome can potentially influence and increase bone mass by reducing bone resorption – the process by which osteoclasts break down bone tissue and release the minerals, resulting in the release of calcium to the bloodstream.
- Radiant Skin: Many inflammatory skin conditions have been linked to the gut. The stomach acid levels are what cause the food you eat to be not broken down properly. This can lead to acne outbreaks. The gut bacteria influence stomach acid levels. An unhealthy gut cannot properly regulate the acid leading to breakouts.
It takes time to treat leaky gut as it depends on the underlying conditions such as Inflammatory Bowel Disease or bad lifestyle habits, but the right leaky gut supplement will get you there.
With so many benefits that you draw from the gut, you might want to support gut health with the best leaky gut supplement out there. There are many leaky gut supplements to choose from and here you can clearly see what might do you good. Gut+ gives you the right quantity of good bacteria and the right kind with a no-frills message that when your digestive tract is healthy, so are you.