Menopause is the natural decline of reproductive hormones when a woman hits her 40s or 50s. It’s a kind of adolescence, only in reverse. This is brought on by a fall in estrogen levels. Most women are not prepared for menopause. Most don’t even know what menopause is, what happens to the body, or what symptoms to look out for. And it’s not surprising as there is very little literature available to everyday women about menopause. This is not a disease, so there is no cure. Menopausal symptoms vary from one woman to the next, so your symptoms are unique to you. The most common menopause symptoms include pain during intercourse, fatigue, hot flashes, night sweats, insomnia, absence of/irregular periods, hair loss, anxiety, low libido, and vaginal dryness. The severity of these symptoms varies too. The unpleasant symptoms are no laughing matter as they are capable of disturbing one’s entire lifestyle.
Menopausal complaints begin slow and crescendo when you least expect it, and menopause comes with its own set of psychological symptoms too, which is where the mood swings come from. Many women turn to specific diets, exercise regimes, yoga, and meditation simply to try to keep body and soul together. These measures help to some extent, but for the most part, women are expected to function as always, which is quite a heavy demand. Diets and yoga are not the answer. You, as a menopausal woman, need to reign your body in and take back control. The easiest way to do that is through supplements.
Traditionally hormonal therapy is sought as the most effective treatment, but many women prefer natural alternatives like black cohosh or red clover. But the everyday woman may not know how much and how to take of these herbs or flowers. This is why supplements that use natural ingredients are the safest bet. They give you the right components in the right amounts at the right times. If you are someone who is apprehensive about supplements, then it’s high time you should know that supplements have made life easier for a lot of folks, no reason why they shouldn’t work for you. To help you choose a product that suits you best, three popular brands will be discussed below –
- Amberen, and
You will be able to compare the brands, benefits, ingredients, and prices. You can then make an informed decision.
Estroven is an OTC supplement brand that aims to reduce the severity of menopausal symptoms. It is marketed by i-Health Inc. Established in 1997, Estroven caters to a large number of menopause symptoms and has a wide range of products that can address varying issues with menopause. Estroven claims that while other brands only deal with hot flashes and night sweats, it goes beyond these specific symptoms to provide relief to women from irritability, weight fluctuations, and mood swings.
Estroven has the following products: Estroven Complete Menopause Relief, Estroven Menopause Relief Weight Management, Estroven Menopause Relief Sleep Cool, Estroven Menopause Relief Mood Boost, and Estroven Menopause Relief Pre-Menopause. The company does specify that these products should be taken individually, i.e., not to take more than one Estroven product at the same time. This may cause a problem due to dosages.
Amberen is a clinically tested OTC supplement that is said to help women with various menopausal symptoms. It claims to help with insomnia, mood swings, concentration problems, low libido, joint pains, weight gain, and fatigue. This product claims to work no matter which stage of menopause you may be in, but results may vary depending on the menopausal stage.
To prove Amberen’s efficacy, it has been through third-party testing involving randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trials.
Provestra from Leading Edge Health Inc. is a natural supplement that first addresses issues with low libido and symptoms of menopause. Since lowered sex drive is a telling feature of menopause, Provestra aims to boost libido and treat menopause symptoms by using natural ingredients to help regulate hormone production. Provestra is a natural alternative to Hormone Replacement Therapy, only safer.
Provestra also speaks to the taboo topic of vaginal drying – which is a tell-tale sign of menopause. This product can naturally increase lubrication while improving sex drive. Provestra is available without a prescription but claims to be doctor recommended.
The Approach – Estroven, Amberen, and Provestra
Estroven uses just one ingredient in the Complete Multi-Symptom formula, and that is Rhapontic Rhubarb root extract which provides the body with 2.2mg of rhaponticum L. and 1mg of desoxyrhaponticin. Also known as Chinese rhubarb or garden rhubarb and it is the stem and root that is used as medicine. Traditionally used as an effective remedy for digestive issues like diarrhea, constipation, and gastrointestinal bleeding. It also helps with open sores in the skin. In a 12-week study, it was found that rhubarb could reduce the frequency and severity of perimenopausal hot flashes. From rhapsodic rhubarb, the extract ERr731 can help with all sorts of complaints related to menopause. In very rare cases, rhubarb extract can cause stomach issues and diarrhea.
Amberen claims to use its proprietary blend of components encapsulated in 400mg pills. The active ingredients include:
- Ammonium Succinate: This component is involved in several chemical processes in the body. It has been found effective for hot flashes and irritability that come with menopause. It can also help with free radical activity.
- Calcium Disuccinate: This is a source of calcium that is vital for bone health and bone tissue formation, nerve signaling, and muscle contractions. The use of this component can curb the loss of bone mass that occurs during menopause.
- Monosodium L-Glutamate: Found in a variety of foods, it is an amino acid salt vital for metabolism and the nervous system. MSG can be used to boost energy levels and deal with menopause-related fatigue.
- Glycine: Glycine has qualities similar to estrogen that has an osteoprotective quality helping to deal with joint pains and bone mass loss. It can also help with insomnia, and mood and act as an antioxidant.
- Magnesium Disuccinate: This component helps with muscle relaxation, cardiovascular health, and bone health. It can also reduce anxiety and depression and promote better sleep.
- Zinc Difurmate Hydrate: Zinc supports the stress response hormone cortisol, which, in turn, affects the production of estrogen and progesterone. It can also help with tissue health, collagen production, and vaginal dryness. Provestra also uses zinc but in the form of zinc oxide.
- Tocopheryl Acetate: An enriched form of vitamin E, tocopheryl acetate can ease the discomforts that menopause brings especially hot flashes. It can also help with stress, and oxidative stress and reduce the risk of depression.
Apart from these, Amberen also includes rice flour, magnesium stearate, silicon dioxide, titanium dioxide, riboflavin, carmine, and water. However, these items do not contribute to the efficacy of the menopause supplement.
Unlike hormone replacement therapy, Provestra is an easy long-term answer to the loss of libido and menopausal symptoms, and the claim is that it could do so within 7 days of first use. The natural ingredients are such that it stops hormones from bouncing off the walls and calms them down, so to speak. These ingredients include:
- L-Arginine: This amino acid has the potential to increase nitric oxide levels in the female body to increase blood flow and could act as a signal molecule for sexual arousal and achieving orgasm. It could also help decrease the severity with which menopause symptoms manifest by improving estrogen levels.
- Theobromine: This diuretic is found in cocoa, acts as a stress reliever, and can keep you from feeling tired. It can also improve blood flow, lifts mood, improves focus and concentration, and can sometimes have an aphrodisiac effect.
- Indole-3-Carbinol: I3C acts as a phytoestrogen – binds to bad estrogen and reduces symptoms of estrogen dominance, and keeps it out of the bloodstream. It helps to maintain a balance of hormones, keeping them in check and improving metabolism rates reducing chances of weight gain.
- Ginseng: Studies have proven that the steady use of ginseng can improve sexual arousal and suppress the symptoms of menopause. It can also help with the risk of cardiovascular health in post-menopausal women. It can also increase the number of estrogen receptors in the body.
- Ginkgo Biloba: This herb contains phytoestrogens, raising estrogen levels in your body and improving hormone imbalances. It can also help to improve mood fluctuations that come with menopause.
- Damiana Leaf: Damiana is used to treat headaches, the nervous stomach, and the prevention and treatment of sexual problems. For menopausal women, it supports estrogen, reduces vaginal dryness, and improves libido.
- Black Cohosh Root: A study conducted in 2013 found that black cohosh can significantly reduce vaginal dryness and hot flashes, especially during the early stages of menopause. It is usually used as an alternative to HRT.
- Red Raspberry: The leaf is what is used, and this can help to reduce heavy blood flow that comes as a part of irregular periods at the start of perimenopause.
- Licorice Root: When ingested as a tea, licorice can reduce the occurrence of hot flashes and the degree and length of them too. It could also help with respiratory health and can act as stress relief.
- Ginger Root: Ginger benefits the thyroid, and insulin, reduces testosterone in women and maintains hormonal balance. It also affects cortisol levels, reducing anxiety and stress. It can also reduce the occurrence of hot flashes and night sweats.
- Valerian Root: Traditionally, Valerian root has been used as a remedy for insomnia, anxiety, headaches, and stress. It can also help with hot flashes, and it is good at reducing the risk of osteoporosis.
- Kudzu: A Chinese medicine, kudzu contains phytoestrogens and can treat common menopausal problems like hot flashes and mood swings. It could also aid in vaginal dryness and loss of sexual appetite.
These herbs can also effectively reduce the risk of breast cancer:
- Vitamin A: This vitamin can help maintain bone health and reduce the risk of osteoporosis. It also boosts global health and well-being.
- Vitamin C: Vitamin C is the closest we have come to a cure for the common cold. It maintains bones and cartilage and helps in the absorption of iron. Because of its antioxidative properties, it can reduce age-related disease and wear and tear.
- Vitamin E: Minerals and vitamin E reduce the risk of depression, weight gain, and heart disease– common problems with menopause. It also acts as an antioxidant, reducing free radical damage in the body and stress.
- Vitamin B12: B12 is responsible for bone health, DNA production, RBC production, and neurological function. Menopause reduces the body’s ability to absorb this vitamin from food which can lead to several health problems. It can also help with the stress and fatigue that accompanies menopause.
- Folic Acid: An easy way of reducing the frequency, severity, and duration of hot flashes is the use of folic acid.
- Biotin: Also known as vitamin B7, promotes nail and hair health – which declines during menopause.
- Calcium Carbonate: Drop in estrogen levels results in loss of calcium. Calcium is essential as you age as the loss of it would make bones porous and prone to breaks.
- Iron: Iron is essential for women as a lot of it is lost during menstruation. During menopause, iron levels drop; which are essential for the production of red blood cells.
- Zinc Oxide: Zinc affects the function of our pituitary glands and adrenal glands, combats the effects of stress on our bodily systems, bolsters our immune systems, and increases our sexual stamina. It is also a vital mineral in the production of testosterone.
Provestra is the only menopause supplement that takes into account the loss of minerals and vitamins that happens during menopause. It addresses issues of iron and calcium, which fortify the menopausal woman’s body from damage, and uses vitamins to ensure that overall health is maintained with good nutrition.
Read more about how Provestra can aid in Menopausal Relief as compared to the other two supplements.
Benefits – What to Look Forward to?
Benefits of Estroven
Estroven combats low estrogen levels that signify menopause. It uses natural ingredients to stimulate the estrogen receptors in the body, which tend to reduce menopausal symptoms. In 28 days of use, you should be able to see the following changes:
- Relief from symptoms after 28days
- Reduction in severity of menopausal symptoms
- Better response to estrogen levels.
- Works on perimenopause symptoms too
- Improved sleep
Estroven recommends that you take one caplet a day and then continue using it for as long as you like.
Benefits of Amberen
Amberen follows a slightly different path. It revives the hypothalamus function, which in turn mends communication gaps between hormone-producing organs like the ovaries. This tends to reduce the severity of menopause symptoms. Amberen can help by:
- Control of mood swings.
- Stops weight gain and joint pains
- Reduction in hot flashes and night sweats
- Better energy levels
- Better libido
The Amberen dosage is 2 capsules per day – one orange and one white. For best results, it is suggested that you continue the use of the product for at least 90 days.
Benefits of Provestra
Provestra works by setting the estrogen levels straight. Lower estrogen levels cause the hypothalamus to overreact, which results in hot flashes and night sweats. Low estrogen levels also account for vaginal dryness and thinner vaginal walls – this causes uncomfortable sex. With Provestra, you could expect the following:
- Improved hormone levels – estrogen, progesterone, and testosterone
- Better sleep
- Reduction in night sweats
- Better memory
- Full body arousal
- Better sexual satisfaction
- Easier weight loss
- Increased energy levels
Provestra must be taken once a day. Because of the extra vitamins in Provestra, it can afford you more benefits that not only solve your menopausal problems but can take care of your overall health.
All three menopause supplements boast the fact that they are 100% natural. And this is a fact. Though they seem to do different things for your menopausal symptoms. The core focus of Amberen and Estroven seems to be menopausal hot flashes and night sweats, while Provestra hones in on the appetite for sex and sexual pleasure. They are all-natural alternatives to hormone therapy which is expensive and time-consuming. As a menopause supplement, the three products aim to help regain hormonal balance, which would help diminish the harshness of symptoms.
Cost, Refund, and Shopping Options
- Estroven packs contain 28 caplets, so they won’t last you an entire month. You could buy them off the official website for $21.99 and also through several online shopping portals. They are also available at most drugstores. If not satisfied with the product, you could ask for a refund or exchange of the product within 90 days of purchase. Refunds take 6-8 weeks to process.
- Amberen can be bought through the official website or online portals and could also be found on shelves at Costco, CVS, Target, or Walgreens. A 30-day supply would set you back $29.99. There are conditions applicable for a refund, but the option is available for 75 days from the date of purchase of the product.
- Provestra offers several purchase options.
- You could choose the monthly supply (a pack containing thirty pills), which would cost you $59.59.
- The two months’ supply is priced at $89.95,
- The three-month supply at 129.95,
- Four months’ worth at 159.95,
- Five months’ worth at $189.95
- And last but not least, the six-months supply at $219.95.
The last option also comes with free shipping within the US. Provestra offers a 67-day, no questions asked money-back guarantee. But if you buy Provestra at Walmart, Walgreens, Amazon, or several other online portals, in such cases, the money-back guarantee and authenticity of the product will be in question, and the makers might not be responsible for such losses. So, it is best to buy Provestra from its Official Website in order to grab the best deals and most authentic products, Click Here!
Q1. Are any of these products habit-forming?
Ans.: All ingredients used in these menopause supplements are natural amino acids, minerals, vitamins, or herbs, so, none of them are addictive. You are free to stop the use of the products whenever you please.
Q2. How long must the product be used?
Ans.: Since the symptoms of menopause could last months and maybe years, the use of Estroven and Provestra is recommended to be continued for as long as the symptoms manifest. Amberen suggests that you use the product for a minimum of 90 days, post which you could choose to stop.
Q3. Can such product be used by all women?
Ans.: Pregnant or breastfeeding women should not be using products for menopausal problems. Also, if you have recently been put on blood thinners, avoid use. As long as, you follow the recommended dosage, there are no problems one should expect. However, do speak to your physician before you start the use of any supplements.
Q4. Will this product hamper hormone activity?
- Estroven works by heightening estrogen receptor activity which elicits estrogen-like activities in the body.
- Amberen works with the endocrine system by regulating the natural production of estrogen.
- Provestra balances the hormonal activity in the body, reducing symptoms and their harshness.
All products use components that boost, stimulate or settle natural bodily processes. They do not influence hormones as steroids do.
Estroven vs. Amberen vs. Provestra – How Do They Compare?
Here’s a quick comparison to help you choose the best female enhancement product that suits you best:
|Benefits||Has several dedicated products to support the menopausal body, including one to cater to all menopausal problems, especially hot flashes, night sweats, and insomnia.||Multi-symptom menopause relief from hot flashes, night sweats, mood swings, low energy, weight gain, irritability, and low sex drive.||Increases sexual appetite, vaginal lubrication, and orgasm intensity. This is in addition to working to alleviate menopausal symptoms and improve memory, and regulate sleep.|
|Working||Activates estrogen receptors which reduces menopausal symptoms||Restores hormonal balance by optimizing natural estrogen production||Helps restore the balance of estrogen, progesterone, and testosterone by working on the endocrine glands.|
|Audience||Works on all women manifesting symptoms of menopause. Consult a physician before use, especially if you have a pre-diagnosed medical condition.|
|Results in…||28 days||30 to 90 days||7 to 28 days|
|Where to Buy?||Online or OTC Stores.||Online or OTC Stores.||Exclusively at the Official Provestra Website.|
Summary & Verdict
All three menopause supplements have different approaches to the same problem – menopause and its symptoms. While Estroven and Amberen address issues of hot flashes, night sweats insomnia, they don’t focus on the sexual problems menopause can cause. Provestra does that. So, Provestra is the only supplement here that focuses on vaginal lubrication, orgasm intensity, and general desire. This is one avenue that requires attention as it could affect a healthy sex life of a woman even during or after menopause.
Provestra lets you be all woman, even if menopause tries to get you down.