Why is the gut so important all of a sudden? That’s probably because research has found that the gut, and the bacteria that live there, are central to overall health. About 30 years ago medical researchers cited that the bacteria that live in the gut are not only vital to optimal gut health but that they play a role in almost every other bodily function, mental health included. The bacteria that live in your cecum – a small pocket in your intestine influences digestive health, the immune system, the production of enzymes, hormones and neurotransmitters, skin health, nutrient absorption, brain health, mood, and motivation even. The microbes in your gut do all that and more. This ecosystem is known as the gut microbiome.
Within the gut microbiome are two forces – the beneficial gut bacteria and the harmful bacteria. Normally, good gut bacteria are more in numbers and they ensure that you have a healthy gut. Sometimes, the balance tips in favor of the harmful bacteria. This could happen due to lack of exercise, stress, sleep disturbances, and most importantly, because of your Diet. When the bad bacteria take over the gut you have a condition, called dysbiosis. Dysbiosis is the cause of several gastrointestinal disorders like leaky gut syndrome, SIBO – small intestinal bacterial overgrowth, IBD – inflammatory bowel disease, IBS – irritable bowel syndrome, ulcerative colitis, celiac disease, and Crohn’s disease.
Now, the leaky gut syndrome is a baddie. It is a condition and not the disease itself. In this condition, your intestinal lining is punctured in a way. The tiny spaces in the intestinal wall allow only water and nutrients through into the bloodstream. Bad bacteria produce endotoxins that eat away at the protective mucosal lining of the intestines and widen the spaces in the intestinal wall. The intestines now allow toxins, partially digested foods, bacteria, and other evil things to pass into the bloodstream spreading inflammation throughout the body. Hence, the name Leaky Gut. The inflammation causes medical conditions and health issues like type 2 diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, hormonal imbalances, and obesity.
You understand now why a healthy gut is all the rage. So, how do you keep the gut healthy?
Measures Supporting Gut Health
Taking care of the gut is a commitment and a healthy digestive system is not something you can have overnight. It is a process and a cumulative effort on your part.
We live on processed foods and take-out meals, and we all have suffered from junk food cravings. These foods may be tasty and convenient but they also feed the harmful bacteria in the gut. The beneficial bacteria need dietary fiber and healthy fats to survive and flourish. These can be had from whole grains, fruits, vegetables, and healthy fish and meats.
Moreover, to improve bacterial diversity in the gut, you must consume probiotic foods like yogurt, kimchi, kombucha, and kefir. Find out the entire list of Probiotic Foods. A plant-based diet is definitely more beneficial for a healthy digestive system.
A study concluded that when participants engage in exercise each day, the composition of the human gut microbiome improved. A healthy human microbiome is characterized by diversity and greater growths of beneficial bacteria. However, when the participants returned to a sedentary lifestyle, the gut microbiome reverted to its previous state and there were even reports of increased growth of pathogenic microbes. You don’t have to join a gym to exercise – walk when you can, jog to the store, and take the stairs instead. For more Gut Health Optimizing Exercises, visit here!
Chronic stress impacts the activity of colonic motor activity and this, in turn, affects the gut microbiome. It does so to the extent of reducing the number of probiotic strains such as the lactobacillus family of microbes. Because of the gut-brain axis, stress on the mind also influences the environment in the gut making it inhospitable for certain good gut bacteria to thrive. Take up meditation, listen to music or podcasts, or even exercise to help you deal with stress. Because avoiding stress is one of the best ways to keep a healthy gut microbiome in order.
The gut microbiome and sleep share a circular relationship. Poor gut health can generate issues with sleep and poor sleep create unfriendly environments for good gut bacteria. The bacteria follow a circadian rhythm similar to yours and when you decide to forgo sleep, you disturb the rest of the bacteria. So, ensure that you get enough rest.
Supplements are probably the easiest step you can take to improve gut health. A probiotic supplement is one that contains strains of healthy bacteria that can refill the numbers in your gut. A prebiotic supplement is one that can provide nourishment for the probiotic bacteria in the gut. Some supplements have both elements in one which makes life a lot easier, to learn more about the Top 10 Leading Prebiotic and Probiotic Supplements visit here!
Supplements help you get the right strains of good bacteria in the right proportions while also feeding the good ones to bloom. This is why many opt for supplements because no one wants to make a lifestyle overhaul and moreover it’s difficult. If you choose the right supplement, it is possible to support absolute gut health and protect from future gut distress. However, not all supplements are built the same and what works for you may not work for someone else. This is why it is vital that you choose your products with care.
One such product is Gundry MD Bio Complete 3. A gut health supplement formulated by Dr. Steven Gundry, a physician with nearly 30 years of experience in medicine. So, let’s see if this supplement is worth all the rage.
Gundry MD Bio Complete 3
Bio Complete 3 is a digestive health supplement that supports gut health by using a rounded approach. The product is a healthy blend of prebiotics, probiotics, and postbiotics. Prebiotics and probiotics you should be aware of, if not you can learn the difference between Prebiotics and Probiotics from here, but postbiotics may be a new concept. Postbiotics are products of bacterial fermentation which, in turn, produce short-chain fatty acids like butyrate. These short-chain fatty acids are the primary source of energy for the colon cells. This approach to digestive health safeguards the digestive tract and warrants human health. Unlike other probiotic supplements, this dietary supplement apparently claims to keep the digestive tract healthy and supports overall health.
The recommended dosage of the product is 4 capsules a day taken in the morning or at night. For maximum benefits, the supplement must be taken daily and can be continued for as long as you wish. However, before you begin the use of this or any dietary supplement, it is strongly suggested that you speak with your doctor. This is especially true if you suffer from any pre-existing conditions. There have been no major side effects reported but a doctor’s consult would help you check for allergic reactions or reactions to prescription drugs.
Gundry MD Bio Complete 3 Benefits & Results
Bio Complete 3 is a dietary supplement designed to support digestive health and in turn, all the processes that are supported by the digestive tract. The benefits claimed by the product include:
- The formula was created to help with digestive issues and one such issue is weight gain caused by inappropriate nutrient absorption and fat storage. This dietary supplement claims to help with weight loss and help you reach weight goals sooner.
- The presence of prebiotics helps with issues like irritable bowel syndrome and adds bulk to stool. You will now have regular and easier trips to the bathroom without problems like gas or constipation.
- The how is unclear but Bio Complete 3 also claims to help with cravings and eating binges.
- A healthy digestive system results in optimum nutrient absorption and greater energy levels. You no longer will be fatigued and will have the energy to spare as the food you eat is being put to use.
This may look like the standard results one might expect from probiotic supplements but the ingredients are few and so the results are fewer and to the point.
Bio Complete 3 Formula
Dietary supplements are only as good as the ingredients used and Bio Complete 3 uses only 3 natural ingredients – which is a positive. Some gut health supplements pack the formulae full of too many ingredients and most of the time this works against you as it could raise the risks of side effects or allergic reactions. Bio Complete 3 aims to boost gut health by being used in tandem with a healthy balanced diet and a healthy lifestyle.
The ingredients include:
- Tributyrin as CoreBiome, 1000 mg
Tributyrin is a triglyceride naturally present in butter. It is an ester composed of butyric and glycerol.
- This is the postbiotic ingredient used in Bio Complete 3.
- This is a short-chain fatty acid and is a more potent form of butyric acid.
- The main function of tributyrin is to maintain a healthy gut lining and to reduce the body’s natural inflammatory response.
- This short-chain fatty acid also stimulates the growth of new cells in the gut wall.
Ideally, when butyrate supplements are consumed, they are broken down before they reach the colon. Tributyrin, can bypass the stomach acid and reach the small intestine. This helps the gut wall maintain balance and eliminate flare-ups that may lead to leaky gut syndrome or irritable bowel syndrome.
Tributyrin comes with several other health benefits like a healthy immune system, supporting skin, muscle, heart, and brain, promoting nutrient absorption, and supporting weight loss.
- Sunfiber, 200 mg
Sunfiber is a trademarked product that is a 100% water-soluble bean fiber. It is a dietary fiber produced by enzymatic fermentation from the Indian gaur bean. Sunfiber is the prebiotic element in Bio Complete 3. This tasteless, odorless, colorless, and gluten-free powder is a supplement in itself and can be easily added to drinks, shakes, and liquid meals.
- The main benefit of Sunfiber is that it helps to add bulk to stool which helps to improve the regularity and quality of bowel movements.
- This is an excellent option for diarrhea or constipation.
- Fiber assists bowel movements which swiftly move through the intestines and make for easy and regular elimination.
- Fiber also promotes digestive health and increases gut health.
- Because of its prebiotic nature, Sunfiber also helps to nourish the probiotic bacteria in the gut and further gut health.
- Bacillus Coagulans as ProDURA, 16 mg
First isolated in 1915, Bacillus Coagulans is a lactic-acid-forming bacterial strain.
- This healthy bacterial strain is usually consumed as a remedy for constipation and irritable bowel syndrome. It is also sometimes taken for stomach pain, gas, indigestion, and diarrhea but it may not be as effective as other probiotic bacteria for the latter issues.
- These bacteria do have the potential of improving digestive health, maintain a healthy balance in the gut environment, and supporting a healthy immune system.
- Not entirely responsible but Coagulans may even help protect the tract from future digestive discomfort and reduce inflammation in the gut as it helps to heal the lining of the intestinal walls.
Additional non-active ingredients include microcrystalline cellulose, hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, silica, and magnesium stearate. These ingredients have been added to protect the integrity of the product and do not affect the performance of the probiotic supplement on overall human health.
What’s Good About Gundry MD Bio Complete 3?
Gundry MD is a pretty well-known business in the probiotic supplementation field, so Bio Complete 3 has a few positive things going for it.
- Some dietary supplements restrict themselves to one factor of gut health like prebiotics or probiotics. Bio Complete 3 does not do that. It includes all, that is, prebiotics, probiotics, and postbiotics to ensure numerous health benefits that arise from better digestion.
- Reviews have shown that the product does deliver the claimed results and it does so efficiently.
- Bio Complete 3 has been tested for efficacy by an independent third-party facility – not something many probiotics supplements can claim.
- The product is gluten-free.
- Gundry MD provides a 100% money-back guarantee in case you are not satisfied with the results. And this offer stands for 90 days post the date of purchase.
What are the Cons of Gundry MD Bio Complete 3?
When looked at in isolation the Gundry MD product does not seem too bad. However, when compared with other similar products, Bio-Complete 3 falls a little short.
- Gundry MD is on the pricier side. When looking at ingredients, benefits, and results, there are products that potentially deliver the same results but they don’t cost as much.
- The effectiveness of a probiotic supplement is checked by the CFUs – colony forming units. The higher the CFUs, the better the supplement. Gundry MD does not mention the CFUs present in Bio Complete 3 which makes effectivity a grey area.
- The consensus is that the more diverse the human microbiome, the more benefits one can reap. However, Bio Complete 3 provides you with only one probiotic strain of bacteria. This restricts the benefits as one can get more benefits from probiotic supplements that include Several probiotic strains of bacteria.
- Similar products have been used in clinical studies but Bio Complete 3 has not. This also calls into question effectiveness.
- Because Gundry MD has several probiotic options, this one has no unique feature that helps it stand out.
Where to Buy Bio Complete 3?
Like all Gundry MD products, Bio Complete 3 can be bought directly from the official Gundry MD website or sites like Amazon, Walmart, or GNC.
- One bottle of Bio Complete 3 would cost you $69.95 and should last you a month for non-subscribed members.
- Three Bottles would cost you $188.85.
- And Six Bottles would cost you $353.70.
You could also choose to subscribe; in which case,
- A bottle would cost you $49.95.
- Savings are higher when you buy in bulk. Buying 3 bottles would cost you $134.85, saving you $75.
- When you opt for 6 bottles, it would set you back $254.70, saving you $165.
The money-back-guarantee is available for 90 days from the date of purchase and you will be refunded the cost minus shipping charges. All orders above $49 are eligible for free shipping within the continental US.
I have been taking Bio Complete 3 for a few months now and I am very happy with the results. I have noticed a significant improvement in my gut health since incorporating this supplement into my daily routine. I appreciate that it only contains three natural ingredients, as I believe in the power of simplicity when it comes to supplements. Overall, I highly recommend Bio Complete 3 to anyone looking to improve their gut health. It’s a reliable and effective supplement that uses natural ingredients and promotes a healthy lifestyle. 3.0 out of 5 stars Great for gut health.
Sienna M. (UK)
I recently started taking Bio Complete 3 and I am very happy with the results. I have struggled with gut health issues for a while and this supplement has really made a difference. I like that it only contains 3 natural ingredients, as I believe in the power of simplicity when it comes to supplements. The supplement is easy to take and doesn’t have any unpleasant side effects. I highly recommend Bio Complete 3 to anyone looking to improve their gut health naturally. 3.5 out of 5 stars Great supplement for gut health.
Summary & Verdict
Gundry MD Bio Complete 3 is good, though a pricey option to maintain balanced diversity in the gut microbiome, weight loss, and relief from digestive issues. The product could be effective if you already suffer from digestive diseases or if you only want to maintain a healthy gut lining.
Though the more expensive product, Bio Complete 3 does fall short slightly on the probiotics front as it only includes one strain of beneficial gut bacteria. For the price they ask for, one would expect more. Also, the product CFUs are undisclosed, so you may not know how much of the bacterial strain is actually being delivered by the product. The website does not completely disclose the dietary restrictions one must make while using the supplement. A healthy diet and exercise are vital when it comes to maintaining optimal gut health.
Even though Bio Complete 3 does come with health benefits and possible relief from irritable bowel syndrome, the product falls short when compared to similar products. If you are really interested in helping your gut out, you may want to check other options out first.