Considering the amount of attention that the gut is receiving nowadays, it is no surprise that the shelves of stores are brimming with prebiotics, probiotics, and various concoctions that claim to give you a healthy gut. ION Gut Support is a liquid supplement that claims to cure the gut of all ills and give you the quality of life that you deserve.
But before you start to heal the gut, you need to know what the gut is, what role it plays and what can hurt it. Let’s begin there and only then would it be possible for you to judge if this ION supplement can work for you or not.
The gut or the gastrointestinal tract is the passageway of the digestive system that begins at the mouth and ends at the anus. Strictly speaking, the GI tract is in charge of the ingestion and digestion of food and the excretion of what is not needed. However, the gut is responsible for keeping the body in good working order. It supports a lot of body functions like the absorption of nutrients, energy production, hormone balance, skin health, mental clarity, and motivation. The biggest contribution the gut has is toward the immune system. Almost 70% of the immune system is housed in the gut so if your digestive system is compromised so are you. The gut communicates with you through certain signs like bathroom habits and the disruption of such habits, gas, hunger pangs, cravings, and even silence. If your gut is quiet, chances are that the gut is healthy and happy and does not need any external intervention. It’s when the noise starts that you need to be concerned.
You must understand from the get-go that each gut is different, and it functions differently from others. Comparing notes with friends and family is not the way to go. If you are concerned about gut issues, listen to your gut – quite literally. You know your body best and if you feel that something is off, it may be so.
You might be wondering as to how a bunch of hollow organs can do so much for you – they can’t. The actual work is done by the gut microbiome – a thriving ecosystem of bacteria, fungi, yeasts, and viruses that live, mostly in harmony, in the intestines. It is the bacteria that do all the work. Though small in size they make large contributions to the general well-being of the body. It is the gut bacteria that help us digest food, regulate the immune system, protect against disease-causing bacteria, and produce vitamins like B12, thiamine, riboflavin, and K. Most of these microbes live in a pocket of the large intestine known as the cecum. On average, there are close to 1000 bacteria species in the gut microbiome and each species plays a crucial role.
Keeping the Good Bacteria Happy
Essentially, it is a good vs. evil situation in the gut. Certain gut bacteria contribute heavily to the host – the human body, health. On the other hand, there is a certain strain of bacteria that causes disease. All is well as long as the good bacteria outnumber and overpower the bad ones. When this balance is tipped, you have dysbiosis. Dysbiosis is the central cause of a lot of gut issues like skin allergies, gas, bloating, diarrhea, constipation, autoimmune diseases, diabetes, fatigue, brain fog, and anxiety.
Everyone’s gut lining is semi-permeable so as to let water and nutrients out into the bloodstream. This is done by the tight junctions in the intestinal wall. However, when dysbiosis happens, the space between the cells in the GI lining is increased as the tight junction integrity is compromised, letting toxins, undigested foods, bacteria, and a host of other wicked things into the blood which causes a lot of disruptions in the body. This is leaky gut syndrome. Beneficial gut bacteria produce short-chain fatty acids like lactate and acetate, which helps the pH balance in the gut. This, in turn, produces a thicker mucous lining in the gut which protects the digestive tract from damage.
So taking care of the gut bacteria and ensuring their health is vital. So how do you do that? There are certain things that you can do to keep a check on your gut health.
- A healthy gut usually has a pooping pattern. If your schedule is off, it could be constipation. Constipation is the result of a lot of causes like dehydration, thyroid issues, or low fiber. The best bet is your diet. Make sure that you are eating fruits and vegetables, drink lots of water, and eat less meat.
- Highly processed foods are bad for you, period. In case you are in the habit of consuming large quantities of junk food/processed foods, your gut may not recognize it as digestible content and may treat it as an intruder. Things like high-fructose corn syrup can trigger such responses. This sets off an inflammatory response in the body where it will be fighting off such foods as if they were infections. Avoid processed foods as much as you can.
- A relaxed mind helps your body in a multiplicity of ways and that includes your gut. Were you aware that excessive stress can change the composition of the gut microbiome? Yes, it can. Take time out to relax and meditate.
- Eat your meals slower – this actually helps. When eating quickly, the food is not properly chewed which makes for a heavier workload on the stomach. Eating slower stimulates saliva production, which readies the digestive system for incoming food.
- Cortisol is the stress hormone and adequate sleep can help lower levels of cortisol. The relationship between a healthy gut and sleep is still being researched but the consensus is that there is a connection between the two. Poor sleep patterns are often associated with poor gut health.
- If you haven’t been feeling quite yourself, it could be the food you are eating. Serotonin is a neurotransmitter that regulates mood and motivation. And 99% of serotonin is produced in the gut. When your diet has caused distress to the gut, it affects the production of serotonin.
- Try to include fermented foods like sauerkraut, kombucha, or miso in your diet. They are probiotic in nature and can replenish the numbers of the good gut bacteria in the gut lining. Fermented foods have live cultures that help break down food and contribute to immune function.
- When you eat you must also be mindful to eat for the bacteria in your gut. The good gut bacteria feed on prebiotic fiber that can be found in a lot of fruits and vegetables. The human digestive system cannot break down fiber which is then sent to the intestines. The gut bacteria break it down into consumable compounds for themselves. If the bacteria are fed, they have the strength to thrive and contribute to your health.
- If your gut is quiet and you have no issues with your digestive health, you have a healthy gut, so relax.
On the off chance that your gut has been acting up, you can do several things to correct it. The easiest route is, of course, dietary supplements. There are a variety of permutations and combinations available. You only have to decide which one suits you best. Most gut supplements include some degree of probiotic and/or prebiotic content. Others use herbs, chemicals, or a blend of both to set the gut at ease by making the environment in the gut bacteria-friendly.
ION Gut Support is one such supplement. To help you decide whether this product can keep your gut healthy, we are going to do an ION gut support review, weigh its pros and cons and see if this product can actually deliver the claims made by them.
ION Gut Support Review
ION was founded in 2012 by Dr. Zach Bush after he discovered an article about soil and carbon molecules in the soil that can benefit overall health. The microbiome had already been established as the seat of keeping the body healthy, so the research began as to how the earth could benefit GI Health. From the gut, ION has now moved to several other avenues of health like skin, sinus, and pet care.
Featured in several publications like Vogue and Allure, ION Gut Support claims to address GI health by sealing the cells in the gut lining which in turn keeps the digestive tract safe from toxins and creates a healthy environment for the microbiome. By doing so, ION Gut Support improves immune function, boosts digestive health, enhances brain function, enhances mental clarity and improves mood, and optimizes metabolism. Previously, this product was called Restore.
The daily dose is simple enough. For adults and children over 3, 1 teaspoon of the product must be taken thrice a day. Ideally, it must be taken 30 minutes before a meal on an empty stomach as this allows for the product to work optimally. But if taken during or after meals, there is no harm done. If you wish to start children below three on ION Gut Support, 1/4th a teaspoon thrice a day would suffice.
The Science Behind ION Gut Health
Before we go any further, you must know that ION Gut support is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any medical condition. It is a dietary supplement which might help to maintain health and well-being. This supplement has not been approved of by the Food and Drug Administration. Before you begin to consider the use of this or similar products, consult a healthcare official first.
The challenge is to block gut sensitivity, fix leaky gut issues, and to alleviate symptoms like acid reflux, gas, bloating, and gluten sensitivity. But how would ION do that without probiotic or prebiotic components? Sticking to their mission statement of using the earth to right all things wrong with the microbiome, unlike any other probiotic supplement, ION is made of humic acid or humic extract. It is also known as liquid lignite extract – terrahydrite. This liquid supplement contains soil-based minerals and soil amino acids similar to fulvic acid supplements. Humic acid is the main player, so let’s talk about that.
Humic Extract or Acid
Humic acid is a chemical produced by decaying plants. They are complex organic substances of soil, which are formed during the process of humification- natural chemical and microbial activity that transforms the dead remains of living things into humic substances.
Humic acid is the result of an almost 80 million-year geological process. Pre-human earth vegetation, seaweed, plants, and fruit trees, along with the right geological conditions of pressure and temperature create mineral-rich humic acid. Humic acids are important as they make the nutrients in the soil available for use instead of them being locked in the soil. The presence of humic acid in the soil makes it possible for crops planted in such soil to transfer the nutrients from the soil to food that will eventually be consumed by us. Humic is highly water-soluble which makes it more bioavailable to you.
Humic acid has been a part of traditional medicine for a long time. This is probably where the saying “Rub some dirt on it.” comes from. This element is filled with minerals that influence almost every aspect of health. Without minerals bone development, sight, digestion, and mental health would all suffer. Also, it is in association with minerals that vitamins carry out crucial chemical reactions in the body. Because of modern farming technologies, environmental toxins, and the demand for higher output from farms, minerals that would originally have been in plant foods are now scarce. So, if you can find an alternate source of minerals, it’s good for you.
Humic acid is known to have several health benefits.
- Reduces the occurrence of the common cold.
- Stave off mineral deficiencies
- It is a safe alternative for chronic bronchitis, especially for children.
- It may be capable of fighting off cancer.
- Thyroid conditions can be set right with the use of humic acid.
- It is a natural anti-virus.
- When running low on electrolytes, humic acid could be the answer.
- It is an organic and natural pain relief system.
- Humic acid rids the body of free radicals
- It could also possibly positively affect the cognitive functions of the brain.
- The benefit that concerns you the most should be the capability of humic acid to restore gut health. Research has proved that the gut is the seat of immunity and poor GI health can cause disease and inflammation. The use of humic/fulvic acid to treat digestive disorders began in India with the use of ‘shilajit’. A common condition that humic acid can help with is leaky gut syndrome. A leaky gut is characterized by increased permeability in the intestinal wall which leads to inflammation and compromised immunity- something humic acid can fix. Humic acid can also increase the ratio of good bacteria in the GI tract.
- Strengthening the immune function is another great benefit of humic acid. Because digestive health is directly correlated with immunity. Introducing humic acid to the diet boosts immunity, thereby protecting the body from disease.
As humic extract is the active ingredient in ION Gut Support, you do have quite a few benefits to look forward to.
What has ION Gut Support Going for It?
Since this supplement uses essentially only two ingredients- humic extract and purified water, there are no other chemicals or additives. So, you can rest assured that ION is vegan-friendly, gluten-free, and glyphosate free. The overuse of antibiotics, a diet loaded with sugars and additives, and a sedentary lifestyle have caused a lot of damage and negatively influenced the microbiome. ION Gut Health can possibly help restore gut health.
The benefits such as improved immune system, boosted digestion, enhanced metabolism, and better mental clarity and mood are all byproducts of optimal digestive health. So these outcomes should present themselves eventually.
- ION Gut health alleviates gluten sensitivity as the product strengthens the GI wall and reduces the ratio of bad bacteria.
- The product is non-toxic to kidney cells.
- The company also has a version of the product for pets.
- The product greatly claims the use of fossilized soil as a source of humic acid. This is the only product that can make such a claim.
- On the official website, you can find some positive rave reviews for the product. But you must take these reviews with a pinch of salt as the website may be reluctant to post unflattering reviews.
- It is a product of the United States of America.
- Should you be dissatisfied with the product, you do have a 60-day money-back guarantee that is made available.
Why Give ION Gut Support a Miss?
The main claim of the product is that it maintains the tight junction integrity of the GI wall. However, the promises made by this supplement cannot be fulfilled without probiotic help. The body’s protective membranes are influenced by the presence of certain bacteria and humic acid alone cannot completely fix the problem of increased permeability.
An ION Gut Health review cannot be done without mentioning that the product looks like dirt water. A common complaint from users is that the sight of the supplement is rather putting off.
ION Gut Support is neither a probiotic supplement nor a prebiotic one. It also does not contribute to any digestive enzymes. These three components are vital to gut health and humic acid alone may find it difficult to maintain digestive health alone.
Humic acid is an important supplement for human health. However, claiming that humic acid alone can set the Gastrointestinal right is a long shot. There are several conditions and corrective measures that must be taken.
Minerals similar to what can be got from humic acid can be had from a regular, healthy, and balanced diet. With the right minerals from any source, you can still reap the benefits claimed by ION Gut Support.
From independent forums, there have been claims that the customer support is not very supportive, and even though there is a money-back policy, making it a reality is quite difficult.
Poppy P. (UK)
I have tried several gut health supplements, but ION Gut Support is by far the best one I have come across. I was skeptical at first, but after just a few days of taking it, I could already feel a difference in my digestion and overall well-being. The liquid form makes it easy to take and absorb into the body. I would definitely recommend this product.
Jessica H. (USA)
I also appreciate that ION Gut Support is made with all-natural ingredients and is free from artificial additives and preservatives. This gives me peace of mind knowing that I am putting something healthy into my body. Overall, I highly recommend ION Gut Support to anyone looking to improve their gut health. It has made a significant difference in my life, and I will continue to use it as part of my daily routine. 3.5 out of 5 stars Excellent gut health
ION Gut Support Summary
As a dietary supplement that claims to relieve stomach issues, this product has missed on several points. The absence of probiotics and prebiotic content and the claim to cure gut-related issues using only an organic compound is slightly far-fetched. Several other supplements can get the digestive tract functioning optimally, giving you improved digestion, freedom from gas and bloating, and support you with probiotic content. Learn more about the 10 Best Probiotic and Prebiotics supplements that can provide gut health benefits as well as relief from Leaky Gut.
This supplement does have its benefits but there are several others that can give you better, quicker results along with value for your money.