The gut starts at the mouth and ends at the anus. That explains its topography. When looked at like that it seems that the gut or the gastrointestinal system is in charge of the ingestion and digestion of food and the excretion of waste. Well, it is that and so much more. Optimal gut health is responsible for a sound mind, a healthy hormone system, strong bones, healthy muscles, great skin, and ideal cognition. Apart from absorbing nutrients from the food you eat, the gut also houses a tiny ecosystem called the gut microbiome. And it is this ecosystem that influences overall health.
Bacteria and humans have shared a symbiotic relationship for so long that evolution has made the situation profitable for bacteria and man alike. The intestinal bacteria live in the cecum of the human body where it is warm and food is aplenty and, in return, the bacteria help the host – you, by keeping your body in the best possible condition. These bacteria may be acting in self-interest by keeping you healthy but that works for you too. The most crucial of their roles is the influence they have on your immune system. The bacteria communicate with the immune cells helping them identify intruders. The bacteria also help to produce and synthesize certain vitamins, help with the digestion of cellulose and fiber, and promote enteric nerve function. But not all the bacteria in your gut are your friend, there are some pathogens too. All is well for as long as the good gut bacteria outnumber the harmful ones. When the composition of your gut changes for the worse, the harmful bacteria take charge and this is called dysbiosis. Now there is some debate as to whether dysbiosis is the cause or effect but there is consensus that dysbiosis is associated with inflammatory bowel disease, leaky gut syndrome, irritable bowel syndrome, obesity, cancer, and maybe even autism.
The gut mucosal lining is where the bacteria live and they ensure the integrity of the intestines, ensuring that spaces in the intestinal wall are only wide enough for nutrients or water to pass through. When dysbiosis happens, the bad bacteria release endotoxins which affect the integrity of the intestines. This means that the spaces grow wider allowing toxins, bacteria, undigested food, and other substances into the bloodstream and inciting inflammatory responses all over the body. This is Leaky Gut Syndrome.
Leaky gut is a condition that could cause several immediate problems including:
- Gas, bloating, and ulceration in the gut
- Indigestion and stomach pain
- Diarrhea or constipation
- Low energy as nutrient absorption is compromised
When left unchecked, these problems grow in nature and severity. You could experience:
- A poor immune system
- Fatigue and brain fog
- Trouble concentrating and/or a constant bad mood
- Skin rashes, acne, or eczema
- Cravings for sugar or carbs
- Arthritis or failing joint health
- Autoimmune diseases like lupus, celiac disease, or Crohn’s disease.
Table of Contents
Keeping the Gut Healthy
There are certain measures one can take to avoid such a fate. The most important is diet. What you put into your body and how you treat your body directly influences the health of the good bacteria.
- Eating more fiber – fruit, vegetables, and whole grains would ensure that the beneficial bacteria are fed and healthy.
- Including healthy fats and avoiding processed foods, fried meats and veg, and high sugar foods could help the gut too.
- Another habit you could change is sleeping. Going to bed on time and making sure that you get a good night’s rest is crucial to a healthy intestinal lining.
- Stress less and get more exercise.
These lifestyle modifications could help heal the leaky gut or avoid it. Or you could opt for supplements. For more insight on the Top 10 Leaky Gut Supplements, visit here!
Supplements are the easier way to regain gut health. Overall gut health can be achieved when you use the right supplement for your gut as supplements include probiotics, prebiotics, and sometimes even healthy amino acids and vitamins. If you do to have the time or the patience to change the very way you live, a supplement could help you out. Probiotic supplements should ideally include bacteria that can replenish numbers and fortify the gut and eliminate unwanted symptoms. These dietary supplements could be added to your busy schedule but if you use them in tandem with a healthy diet and lifestyle the results could be a lot quicker. To help you make an informed decision about the supplement that would suit you best, we have compared four gut health supplements and made a few suggestions of our own.
Bio Complete 3 vs. Total Restore vs. Gut+ vs Biotics 8
Dr. Steven Gundry uses the term Holobiotics to describe the diet and lifestyle choices one must make to ensure a healthy gut microbiome. This is also the foundation of the company Gundry MD. All Gundry MD products are dietary supplements that promote better health and living. Bio Complete 3 and Total Restore are both Gundry MD probiotic supplements. Both products claim to help ease the symptoms of leaky gut syndrome along with some extra benefits.
Bio Complete 3
Bio Complete 3 claims to help with problems like food cravings, fatigue, and weight management. In this particular probiotic supplement, Dr. Gundry uses probiotics, prebiotics, and postbiotics, to give the gut the much need boost. And it uses just 3 ingredients to achieve this goal. The recommended dosage is 4 capsules a day. 2 capsules, twice a day before meals.
Total Restore is more of a reinforcer than a fixer. This dietary supplement promotes a strong and stable gut lining to avoid digestive health problems and it uses 16 natural ingredients to do it. Total Restore could help you with gas and bloating, boost energy and focus, curb hunger pangs and even promote joint health. Dr. Gundry claims that it is lectins- plant proteins that are difficult for the body to digest, that cause leaky gut, and taking Total Restore can stop the damage from being done. All you have to do is take 3 capsules a day with water.
Gut+ is brought to you by Yourbiology and the key to this supplement’s success is its delivery system. Gut+ claims that most probiotic supplements don’t survive digestion as the digestive enzymes destroy them. Gut+ includes a formula that safeguards the good stuff from the stomach acid so that it could be delivered unharmed to the intestines where probiotics and prebiotics are needed most. This dietary supplement can introduce probiotics that can:
- Improve digestion,
- Boost immunity,
- Reduce stress, and
- Help you feel lighter.
And it uses 4+ live bacterial strains with 40 billion CFUs to do so. To reap the benefits, you should take 2 pills every day in the morning.
To learn more about the Best Gut Health Supplement for Women, click to visit the Gut+ Official Website.
Biotics 8 by Bauer Nutrition
Biotics 8 from Bauer Nutrition is a gut health supplement for men that aims to:
- Enhance digestion,
- Improve immunity,
- Promote gut health, and
- Increase energy output.
This supplement was designed especially for the male body and it is the only one here that recommends a varied intake system to let the body adjust to the supplement. Biotics 8 boasts the use of 10 probiotic strains and 20 billion CFUs to improve digestive health. You could start slow with 1 capsule a day for the first few days and then start taking 3 capsules a day henceforth. If you want you could jump right in and start with 2 capsules a day, every day.
To learn more about the Best Gut Health Supplement for Men, click to visit the Biotics 8 Official Website.
Each supplement comes with its own set of benefits but some of them are universal. All four gut supplements claim to improve digestion- though they use different ingredients to do so and help you fight fatigue with more energy.
- The Gundry MD supplements, Bio Complete 3 and Total Restore both focus on restoring balance to the gut microbiome and protecting the good bacteria from harm and this, in turn, improves your immunity to other diseases.
- Gut+ and Biotics 8 work on establishing good bacteria numbers in the gut by introducing healthy bacteria through the supplement. Greater numbers and diversity in the gut microbiota means lesser chances of dysbiosis and a healthier you.
Benefits specific to each probiotic supplement are as follows:
Bio Complete 3
- Weight loss
- Can help with symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome
- Can help with leaky gut symptoms as well
- Uses ingredients that support overall gut health
- Improves focus
- Can help curb cravings for sugar and carbs
- Helps reduce stress levels
- Improves skin health
- It may prove beneficial for fertility complications in women
- Effects start within 24 to 48 hours
- Designed specifically for the male anatomy
- Can help boost testosterone levels and protect the prostate health
- Improves sleep
- Reduces inflammation
How Do They Work?
Gundry MD Bio Complete 3 and Total Restore both use natural ingredients to boost the body’s natural ability to reset the gut. There is the assumption here that while trying to improve gut health, you would be following a diet that helps the gut relax and slowly works towards improving gut health.
Ingredients in Bio Complete 3 include:
- Tributyrin as CoreBiome: This is a short-chain fatty acid that acts as a postbiotic– the end product when bacteria feed on prebiotic fiber. As CoreBiome, it is a clinically researched, patent-pending component that has several health benefits. It has been proven to promote gut health, restore gut lining integrity, improve protein digestion and improve conditions for gut bacteria. It has also shown some promise in the treatment of diseases of the colon.
- Sunfiber: An abundant source of prebiotics, Sunfiber has been found to have a good influence on digestion and to improve stool composition whether you be suffering from diarrhea or constipation. It could also help with cholesterol levels and boost heart health.
- Bacillus Coagulans: This is a lactic acid-forming bacteria that support the respiratory and immune system. It can also help with stomach upsets, diarrhea, and travelers’ diarrhea. It could help heal the gut lining which could also improve leaky gut syndrome symptoms.
There are some other additions as well but they are inactive and are used to preserve the supplement’s integrity.
Ingredients in Total Restore include:
Gundry MD Total Restore works on digestive health by using the following healthy blend of components:
- N acetyl D glucosamine: An amino derivative from shellfish that can have a positive influence on digestion and joint health. It also protects the gastrointestinal walls and helps keep pathogens within the wall. This is an allergen though.
- L-Glutamine: This is an amino acid that supports the health of intestinal cells which would affect permeability in the long run. This is naturally found in the body but must be supplemented when the body is in peril like dysbiosis or infection.
- Licorice Root Extract: Licorice root contains close to 300 chemical compounds and flavonoids, and has been in use traditionally as a remedy for stomach ulcers, fighting infections, and can also help reduce body fat. It acts as an antacid and can also help promote good sleep.
- Magnesium Beta-Hydroxybutyrate: This is a chemical made by the body and is an alternative energy source if you have not eaten enough carbohydrates or sugar. It can regulate blood sugar levels and can promote weight loss and burn fat.
- Grape Seed Extract: A rich source of polyphenols, grape seed can increase the abundance of beneficial bacteria in the gut and can improve leaky gut syndrome and associated symptoms. Furthermore, it can be used as a preventive measure for IBD and intestinal disorders.
- Black Pepper Fruit Powder: This spice rouses hydrochloric acid in the stomach which aids in quicker and better digestion of food. Moreover, it could reduce the chances of gas build-up and bloat in the intestines. It also has anti-histamine properties.
- Wormwood: Traditionally used for liver and bladder diseases, wormwood has also been used for digestive issues like loss of appetite, upset stomachs, and intestinal cramping. It is been researched as a possible remedy for Crohn’s disease.
- Cinnamon Bark Powder: Cinnamon has been a part of traditional medicine for a long time for digestive issues. It has anti-inflammatory properties that help it to ease intestinal discomfort, discourage the growth of pathogens, and can also improve digestion.
- Cloves: Cloves improve digestive health by stimulating enzyme production and secretions and quickening the digestive process. They can also help with flatulence, gastric irritability, dyspepsia, and nausea. It also helps to relax the gut lining.
- Maitake Mushrooms Extract: A rich source of antioxidants, glucans, and dietary fibers, maitake can improve overall health and influence the diversity of gut microbiota.
- Marshmallow Root Powder: Traditionally used as a natural remedy for digestive issues like reflux, heartburn, and diarrhea, marshmallow root protects the mucosal lining of the stomach and esophagus, preventing the formation of ulcers.
- Zinc L-Carnosine: A vital mineral for the body, zinc has restorative properties that could help heal the gastric lining and tract. It could also help to heal gastrointestinal disorders and improve the conditions of the liver which would benefit fat metabolism.
- Berberine: Berberine can increase the production of a protective mucosal layer (the production is done by bacteria) and it was proven that berberine could influence diversity in the gut flora.
- Organic strawberry, Blueberry, raspberry, Tart Cherry Fruit, Elderberry, Cranberry: Naturally occurring antioxidants and anti-inflammatory fruits, the inclusion of the berries can improve inflammation in the gastrointestinal tract and can act as a preventive for cancers of the colon and prostate.
Ingredients common in Gut+ and Biotics 8 include:
Gut+ and Biotics 8 take a slightly different route to heal digestive health issues. Both these gut health supplements focus on replenishing the numbers and diversity of friendly bacteria in the gut. The healthy bacteria then work towards setting your gut straight even if you do not make any drastic changes to your diet or lifestyle. Both Gut+ and Biotics 8 have a few common ingredients.
- Lactobacillus Bacterial Strain: This strain of bacteria could be found in all probiotic supplements worth their salt. Naturally occurring in dairy and fermented food products, almost all members of this bacterial strain have positive influences on the gut and gut flora. These bacteria can help with:
- Weight loss,
- Treat diarrhea and constipation,
- Improve cholesterol levels,
- Treat vaginal infections,
- Reduce the severity of allergic reactions and
- Improve overall gut health.
Gut+ includes acidophilus, Plantarum, and Paracasei while Biotics 8 adds on casei, rhamnosus, and fermentum.
- Bifidobacterium: Another crucial addition to probiotic supplements, this strain helps with:
- The digestion of dairy products, and dietary fiber,
- Keeps infections at bay,
- And produces vitamins and chemicals vital for the body.
Gut+ uses lactic while Biotics uses longum, bifidum, and breve strains. The Bifidobacterium strain works just like the lactobacillus family but in addition to all that, they can help with the permeability of the intestinal wall.
- Fructooligosaccharides (FOS): These are used as an alternative to sugar and are plant-based. They are ideal prebiotics as they can be broken down into short-chain fatty acids that the gut bacteria use as nutrition.
- FOS keeps the bacteria healthy which results in better gut health.
- They may also retard the growth of bad bacteria in the gut and reduce the occurrence of diarrhea or constipation.
- FOS can also influence cholesterol levels.
Unique Ingredients in Gut+
Apart from the above, Gut+ includes the Maktrek Marine polysaccharide complex. Made from brown seaweed, this is what Gut+ includes to ensure that the probiotic content reaches its destination unharmed and that the stomach acid does not change the composition of the supplement. This component provides a 250 times better survival rate and good gut bacteria absorption rate than any other gut health supplement.
Unique Ingredients in Biotics 8
- Biotics 8 includes inulin – a dietary fiber that can smoothen the bowel emptying process and can also help curb hunger cravings.
- Lipase – a digestive enzyme that helps to break down fats in food making it easier for the intestines to absorb them.
- Saccharomyces boulardii – the go-to remedy for rotaviral diarrhea in children, it is used for several digestive issues and can positively influence the gastrointestinal tract.
- Lastly, Biotics 8 includes vitamin D – the nuclear receptor of vitamin D regulates the intestinal barrier integrity and the adaptive immunity of the gut.
The one factor that all four supplements share is that they all use natural ingredients only. The supplements, therefore, have no side effects. They are safe and easy to digest.
Cost, Refund & Where to Buy
The Gundry MD products can be bought off their official website or other online sources like Amazon, GNC, Walmart, or health stores.
- Bio Complete 3 is available in monthly, three-monthly, or six-monthly batches. It would cost you $69.95, $188.85, and $353.70 respectively. If you aren’t satisfied with the product, Gundry MD guarantees you 100% money-back. All you have to do is contact the customer service department.
- Total Restore follows the same refund policy. Available in batches similar to Bio Complete 3, the prices vary though. 1 bottle would cost you $69.95, 3 bottles for $191.85, and 6 bottles for $317.70.
- Yourbiology Gut+ limits the number of bottles you can buy due to stock limitations. You could buy 1 bottle, which is a month’s worth, for $59.99, two months’ worth for $119.99 and you get a free bottle or you could opt for the three-month supply, which would give you two free bottles and that would cost you $179.99.
Gut+ also gives you a 60-day money-back guarantee should you be unsatisfied with the product. All products are available on the official website, click to buy Gut+ by YourBiology.
- All Bauer Nutrition products are available only on the official website, to buy Biotics 8, tap here!
A bottle of Biotics 8 can be had for $59.99; you can buy two months’ supply with a free bottle thrown in for $119.99 or you could go for the three months’ supply with two bottles free worth $179.99.
The refund policy is similar to Gut+ and so you are covered with a 60-day money-back guarantee.
Q1. Are any of these products habit-forming?
Ans.: No. All these supplements use natural ingredients that boost the body’s natural processes. There is nothing or anything in them that would cause a dependency.
Q2. Are these products vegan-friendly?
Ans.: Bio Complete 3 is vegetarian-friendly while Total Restore contains components from shellfish. Gut+ is vegetarian–friendly while Biotics 8 is safe for vegans.
Q3. How soon can results be expected?
Ans.: The average time for all the supplements to start exhibiting results is close to 2 weeks. Benefits increase with repeated and continued use as they have a cumulative effect on the gut.
Q4. Are they safe to take?
Ans.: Probiotics on the whole are a safe supplement to take. However, please consult a qualified medical professional before you take any supplement as they may affect prescription medication or may cause allergic reactions.
Bio Complete 3 vs Total Restore vs Gut+ vs Biotics 8
A quick recap should help you make up your mind and this may also put a few things in perspective.
|Bio Complete 3||Total Restore||Gut+||Biotics 8|
|Bacterial Strain Count||1||None||4||10|
|CFUs||Not Clear||NA||40 billion||20 billion|
|Daily Dosage||2 capsules twice a day before meals||3 capsules a day with water||2 capsules first thing in the morning||Flexible dosage, so you can take 1 to 3 capsules each day, depending on the stage and your bodily needs.|
|Where to Buy?||On Amazon, Walmart and GNC.||On Amazon, Walmart and GNC||Visit the Official Gut+ Website.||Visit the Official Biotics 8 Website.|
Summary & Verdict
The Gundry MD products, when compared to YourBiology Gut+ and Bauer Nutrition Biotics 8 fall short on several fronts. They both do have digestive health and other health benefits but when it comes to the leaky gut symptoms and the alleviation of the same, they don’t really do a very good job. The consensus is that the more diverse the gut flora the better human health. Bio Complete 3 uses 1 bacterial strain and Total restore has none. So, without sufficient probiotics to help restore balance, gut health would take longer, if ever, to improve.
The other two dietary supplements namely Gut+ and Biotics 8 seem to make a better attempt at fixing the gut lining. By using prebiotics and probiotics with sufficient strains and CFUs, they can help the digestive system to a larger extent. Even the list of benefits is greater for both of them. Gut healing is ensured and maximum benefits are reaped when the components are used to support the digestive system. Biotics 8 even goes a step further to create a formula, especially for men, whereas the Gut+ is more focused on women’s gut health. For gut healing and your money’s worth, Gut+ and Biotics 8 are recommended.
- The Best Remedy: Lectin Shield vs. Total Restore vs. Gut+ vs. Biotics 8
- Can Formulas Like Total Restore or Vital Restore Help with Leaky Gut Syndrome or Are There Better Options?
- 10 Best Leaky Gut Supplements – A Comparison between Popular Gut Supplements to Treat LGS.
- 10 Digestive Superfoods for a Healthy Gut: Myth or Fact?